Monday, February 8, 2010

I know how to conduct a proper search!?

After watching all the tutorials here are some conclusions in no particular order.
  1. While I did learn some things watching the tutorials, I knew a large portion of what was being taught. I know how to search and I know how to use search engines. In the midst of my outrage that a tutorial for how to enter key words in the search box exists, I had an epiphany. People really don't know this. Nor do people (students) know how to conduct a proper search. While all of that information seems obvious to me, it is not obvious to everyone and I should keep that in mind in working with others.
  2. Visual search engines and clustered results exist and are fun.  Using the google wheel, clusters, or the visual cube would be ways to get students not to click on the first 5 sites returned in a search.  Students also like novelty.  Clusty clusters results.  Viewzi, Google Wonder Wheel, and Search Cube provides visual results. 
  3. Language options, translators, and visual search engines are all valuable assistive technology.
  4. I got the distinct impression that the lady on the video thought people in Brazil spoke Spanish when she was giving the language search example.  I was Holden Caufield embarrassed for her.
  5. I was not aware you could filter searches by date using advanced search options or the left hand toolbar in Google.  
  6. Soople has already been bookmarked on my parents computer.  This search engine makes it easy to use the advanced search options in the most popular search engines without having to remember how to find "advanced search."  This site in completely unnecessary for some people, but may be necessary to recommend to others in order to maintain your sanity.
  7. | means or.  This is not really that useful but can give you "street cred" as a techie.
  8. The Internet Search Challenge  would be an excellent way for students to practice creating effective searches.  21st Century Information Fluency hosts the Internet Search Challenge.  The company also has a blog with articles relating to information fluency and more internet challenges.  This blog entry about the "death" of information fluency was particularly relevant to my last post about teaching content and student research. 
  9. Did anybody else find it a little funny that the teacher kept telling us to consult the downloadable resources for web addresses she mentioned when she was teaching us how to conduct effective searches?

No comments:

Post a Comment