Monday, February 22, 2010

Animation

Making my own animation really, really horrifies me.  First, I've never been a big fan.  I don't really like cartoons or Disney animated movies.  When my son watches cartoons, I take a nap or try to get work done.  Second, I have zero artistic ability.  I've heard lots of people say this and then they produce some pretty decent art work.  I'm not that person.  I can't really draw stick people and I can't visualize a finished product.  I've tried to start this project for over a week and would chicken out each time.  I knew it was going to frustrate me.  Since I was already sick and feeling cranky, I didn't think I should get more frustrated. 

Reading the discussion board and blogs, I started to feel encouraged.  It sounded like I wouldn't have to draw!  It also sounded like Alice was fairly user friendly.  Trying to think of a topic, I also became excited about ways I could use animation in the classroom. 

I finally got up enough nerve to download Alice.  Of course, it wouldn't work.  After a few failed attempts to download, I decided to try Scratch (Melinda recommended).  I decided that if I was having so much trouble downloading the program, students would to.  While Scratch was easier to download, I found it difficult to figure out.  The tutorials weren't very helpful.  Back to Alice I went.  Alice finally downloaded and I was able to watch all the tutorials.  The tutorials were helpful and I decided to try out my own world.  So far, I'm figuring things out.  I'm sure I'll run into more problems, but it isn't as bad as I feared.

No comments:

Post a Comment