I'm usually pretty open to new technology, but I never really saw the purpose of Twitter. It seemed a lot like Facebook and I didn't really care to hear about people's personal lives in 140 characters or less. I started to understand more about Twitter at the GeoTech conference when I went to a session on personal learning networks. The instructor explained and showed examples of people who tweet links to useful websited, blogs, and ideas. I grew a little more interested in Twitter. Then, at our next class meeting, Dr. Smolka asked us to create a Twitter account.
I set up my Twitter account and found a few people, tech products, and fan sites to follow. I must admit I've been learning a lot from Twitter. Wesley Fryer (educational blogger and education professor in Oklahoma) always has great ideas and advice on using technology in the classroom. Other teachers I follow have also led me to the sites Toondoo, GoAnimate, and Museumbox. I found a Microsoft plugin for Moodle that allows you to upload files straight from Office to Moodle from a teacher on Twitter. The Promethean Planet tweets led me to a Mongol resource pack I would have never found on my own (or known to look for).
While I haven't started sending out my own tweets, I have benefitted from using Twitter and will continue to use Twitter for my own personal learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment