I received my first T.H.E. Journal this week. I must admit I forgot that I had ordered it and I thought someone had sent me the journal as a joke. This week's "technology that is more interesting than me" for my students is Call of Duty. Somehow one of my class decided I play CoD and that is why their essays aren't graded (I wish I was playing video games). Anyway, I don't play CoD and have always been a bit wary of WoW.
Jennifer Demski's article "The WoW Factor" profiles a group of educators who play WoW. The educators not only play the game, but dialogue about educational matters. Most of the educators do not live in the same state and have never met face to face.
One benefit of playing WoW the article argues is the networking. Each person has an avatar which makes approaching people less threatening. People are also less threatened by position. For example, teachers will engage in educational discussions with superintendents. Superintendents will ask gaming questions of teachers because they have a higher point level on WoW, thus superior skills. The article implies this type of gaming and interaction could be used in the classroom. I'm not so sure I agree with this. While I think certain students shine when given a less threatening format (online discussions, etc), should we teach kids to hide behind an avatar? If education is preparing you for the real world, can you hide behind an avatar in your real life?
Another point in the article is that video games use many skills that are valuable in the classroom. One member of the group gave the example, "I need to to write all these ideas down, like doing a mathematics lesson based around a statistical comparison between one weapon versus another weapon, or this particular armor resistance and this particular armor resistance." While it probably is more interesting to teach statistical analysis using a video game, the point is to figure out how to most effectively kill someone. Not what I want my kid doing in school. I do think part of the point of the essay is to have kids write their own video games, but the article really implied using WoW.
I do think using some video games in the classroom might be effective, but I don't think WoW is an appropriate choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment