Saturday, November 7, 2009

Topic 12. Technology Across the Senses

Existentialist and visual/spatial best describe my learning style. If I can find a link between the "real world" and what I'm learning, I can figure things out. I love to see how seemingly unconnected ideas fit together and how I can apply what I'm learning to my own life. My preference for the big picture probably explains why I love teaching AP World History so much. The course is all about making connections and identifying patterns. When looking for the big picture, I usually need to "see" it. I love to make charts and annotate maps. If I'm going to remember something it must be written down.

Although I like to think I try to meet the needs of all intelligences in my teaching, I probably teach most to the Visual/Spatial and the Interpersonal. The Visual/Spatial is probably due to my own process at arriving at the "big picture." If I want students to understand the key theme of 600-1450 was exchange of ideas, the best way I "see" that concept is through a map. The Promethean Board and LCD also contribute to my reliance on Visual/Spatial approaches. While I don't particularly learn well through interpersonal communication, it seems many of my students do. The quest for the "big picture" also lends itself to class or group discussions. Furthermore, the visual/spatial approaches I employ can also be combined into a group activity.

The objective for the lesson is for students to feel confident in their ability to organize and write a compare and contrast essay.

Verbal/Linguistic

  • Use Word to write a practice essay
  • E-mail a partner and explain how to organize the essay, edit writing

Logical/Mathematical

  • Use Google Docs to edit a sample essay
  • Use Word to write own instructions for writing the essay

Visual/Spatial

  • Use Inspiration to outline essay
  • Use Google Docs to view and edit sample essays

Bodily/Kinesthetic

  • Students use Promethean Board to put an outline in the proper order or edit samples
  • Give students manipulative materials to use when creating outline

Musical/Rhythmic

  • Students use Promethean Board to put and outline in the proper order
  • Students use Google Docs to find pattern of the sample essays (reverse outline)

Intrapersonal

  • Teacher provides writing samples on the Promethean Board and asks students to vote on whether they are acceptable using ActivExpressions
  • Students use Word to edit their own work

Interpersonal

  • Use discussion board on Moodle for students to post sample outlines or essays and have others critique
  • Students use Word and blog, e-mail, or discussion board to collaborate on an outline or sample essay

Naturalist

  • Use Inspiration to outline essay
  • Create a blog or wiki with instructions and examples of quality writing

Existentialist

  • Students search the databases available through our school library to find comparative essays in the newspaper or in journals and create an outline of the structure
  • Have students send drafts to a university professor or another AP teacher for evaluation


 

No comments:

Post a Comment