Saturday, November 14, 2009

Topic 14. More Social Studies Resources

I was kind of disappointed in the Social Studies resources given in the book. I am not expert, but many of the sites seemed to be for elementary or were sites you had to pay for. Here are a few things that I've found for free that I use all the time.

Images and Art

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Much of their collection is available online. The museum also has pictures and descriptions of their current shows online. I'm disappointed I didn't see the samurai exhibit. My students would have really liked looking at that. I've used this site to show works of art, as part of webquests, or I've used the COWs and let students look through an exhibit. Many museums have similar features and I've used their sites as well. http://www.metmuseum.org/special/index.asp

Google images is a great source for pictures.


 

Documents

The Medieval Sourcebook is excellent for historical documents. I find all sorts of treasures to use as discussion starters, for analysis, or to give examples. http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/Sbook.html


 

Virtual Tours

As with art, many of the sites I want to talk about have incredibly comprehensive web sites. When we do Absolutism I have students visit the Versailles website and the Suleymaniye Mosque website. Both have virtual tours, pictures, and more information than I could ever present. The students answer questions related to the period of Absolutism while looking through the sites. Versailles site: http://en.chatequversailles.fr

Suleymaniye Mosque site: http://www.saudiarmcoworld.com/issue/2000605/sulymaniye/default.htm


 

Timelines

The book talked about several programs for creating timelines. If you can't afford those, use Word to create your own. The instructions are here: http://www.microsoft.com/education/TimelinesWord.mspx


 

No comments:

Post a Comment