Friday, December 4, 2009

Topic 20. Final Reflections

The Course
While I didn't enjoy it, the Spreadsheet and Database assignments were helpful.  I needed to learn to use Excel and Access, but could never make myself spend the time.  Now that I know the basics I will feel more comfortable using these programs in the future.  I also found the blogging useful.  This was my first experience blogging.  I can understand why some people really like it.  You can vent your frustrations, explore how you feel about a topic, or simply tell the cyberworld how you see things.  However, I can see why some people don't care for it.  I was always worried about writing about my school or my students or expressing an opinion that would not be viewed favorably by the administration.  I also struggled sometimes when I was given a topic I didn't have a great deal of interest in. 

My biggest struggle was finding the time to get the work done.  I thought an online course would be easier for my schedule because I didn't have to go to class each week.  However, when I'm in class, I'm there.  My family can't bother me and it is time set aside for school.  When I try to set aside time at home, my family easily distracts me. 

Another thing that was hard for me was the discussion board.  When I'm in a classroom I rarely say anything.  The discussion boards force you to put your opinions out there and to comment on other people's discussions.  I'm still not completely comfortable with putting my opinions out there for everyone to read.

The final struggle I encountered stems from not being a digital native.  I need to print stuff.  I need instructions to be in one place.  It was difficult to do the assignments at first because the instructions were on one page, the information I needed was on another, and the space to enter your answer was on another.  I'm getting better, though.  Currently, I'm navigating between the blog instructions and my blog.  I didn't print!

We've made a great deal of suggestions over the semester and Dr. Lan has been quite accomodating to our needs.   I think it might have been easier if the course started with a face to face meeting.  That way the instructor could explain the setup of the course on Blackboard and clarify any questions.  It would also be helpful if assignment instructions, examples, and rubrics were all in the same folder. 

Overall, I don't think I learned any more or any less content than I would have in a classroom setting.  It was just different. I do think I've become a bit more comfortable conversing with my peers via the discussion boards.  I learned a great deal about different types of technology through the assignments.  The resources that I've aquired through the reading, suggested resources, and the blogs and discussion boards have been tremendously helpful.  I don't think I would have acquired so many new ideas in a face to face class.  Its much easier to click on a link than to ask somebody for a website and remember to look it up on your own time. 



Overall, I don't think I learned any more or any less than I would have in a classroom setting.  It was just different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment