Databases organize information. They also allow users to search for information within the database. Of the basic three, this was the program I knew the least about. I did not know the difference between a database and a spreadsheet before reading this chapter. Databases organize information while spreadsheets organize numerical data.
Most of my students use databases for research. Our school library has several different subscriptions that they can access from home rather than using books in the library. The databases allow students greater access to materials. Many of the articles available online are not available in our school library or the local public library. Random idea: Is itunes a sort of database? It organizes music and you can search it.
While I see my students using databases that are already created, I don't think many of them would know how to create a database on their own. I also don't know of any teachers in my building who use databases in their instruction. Databases do have a place in my course. Students are required to know about pretty much every civilization from the beginning of time. One of the AP essay questions is about change over time. If my classes created databases with each civilization and the basic features of each theme, students could use searches to analyze change over time in each theme.
Teachers also use databases for research. After learning what a database is, I realize we have several that we use at school for student data. While I am as comfortable with database technology as I am with word processing or even spreadsheets, I do believe databases help teachers be more efficient. They also could be beneficial as a review tool for my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment